The American Lung Association’s Biobased Academy® is now live for fleet use at no charge to MEMA members as a result of a partnership with U.S. soybean farmers and the United Soybean Board. The ALA’s new comprehensive online training program educates fleet and facility professionals and technicians on the operational, health, safety, and environmental benefits of biobased fleet and facilities products. The Biobased Certified Fleet Professional course is available at Homepage | Biobased Certified Fleet Professional. Join MEMA to receive the training as a benefit of paid membership.
“The American Lung Association is proud to offer this comprehensive training program to educate professionals on the operational, health, safety, and environmental benefits of biobased alternatives,” said ALA Director of Clean Air Initiatives Bailey Arnold. “Implementing biobased products is an easy way to complement existing carbon reduction strategies while protecting the overall health of employees, communities, and the environment.”
“USB’s partnership with ALA offers an unprecedented new resource for fleet and sustainability leaders along with their staffs to learn about the benefits of soy inside products they can use every day in their fleets,” says Ralph Lott, who serves as Chair of the soy checkoff and farms in Seneca Falls, New York. “U.S. Soy offers natural choices in a wide range of products, ranging from Goodyear soy-containing tires to biodiesel and hydraulic fluids.
“Our USB-funded outreach to fleets across the nation has proven that leading sustainability-minded fleets want to help educate their staffs about these products,” added Lott. “We thank all the fleet leaders from across the nation who reviewed these educational materials for their real-world practical use.”
What Fleets Are Saying About the American Lung Association Biobased Academy®
“The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is thrilled to be part of this important environmentally conscious initiative. It is education like this offered through the ALA Biobased Academy that will ultimately help promote the environmental benefits from using biodiesel in vehicles and facility biobased products.
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey Sustainability Fleet Coordinator James Hineson
“As a Bio Ambassador and leader of a fleet in the nation’s capital, I could not be more excited about the launch of the American Lung Association’s Biobased Academy. ALA’s comprehensive program further exposes fleet and facility professionals to the environmental, health, and operational benefits of biobased products. We cannot wait for our own fleet professionals to take a deep dive into this course.”
D.C. Department of Public Works Fleet Administrator Tim Fitzgerald
“The City of Madison is a committed user of biobased products including biodiesel blends for all heavy-duty equipment of up to 100% biodiesel and over 1,000 soybean oil-based tires on the road already, with greater expansion to come. We are working toward B100 for all heavy-duty fleet equipment by 2030. This is part of how America will achieve energy independence while boosting the US economy including farmers, processors, and distributors right here in the Midwest in addition to the ecological benefits of reducing our carbon footprint. Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway, my fleet team and I are proud to support the Biobased Academy, an outstanding program and powerful collaboration that I fully expect will bring more fleets across the nation on board to reap the benefits of biobased products.”
Madison, Wisc. Fleet Superintendent Mahanth Joishy
Upon completion of the Biobased Certified Fleet Professional (BCFP)® course, participants will have a firm understanding of how and why biobased products can be safer, rapidly renewable, and reliable alternatives to petroleum-based products that improve operational, health, safety, and environmental performance. Participants will also understand the type and variety of biobased products available and how to procure them.
Programmatic Benefits and Purpose
- Benefit workers through reduced exposure to harsh chemicals and fumes.
- Assist organizations in reducing their environmental footprint with soy biobased products.
- Increase fleet and facilities’ knowledge of soy biobased products.
- Contribute to the United States’ economy by increasing the use and sale of soy biobased products made from U.S. Soy.
- Train and assist fleets and facilities in implementing cutting-edge sustainability practices, like soy biobased products, to create ideal candidates for national fleet and facilities awards, such as the 100 Best Fleets in the Americas and USEPA Federal Green Challenge award programs.
At the completion of this certification program, participants will gain:
- Awareness of the human and environmental effects of air contaminants and contact exposure to chemicals
- Awareness of the requirements and liabilities associated with spills and releases of pollutants and contaminants
- An understanding of the current definitions and meanings of commonly used terms related to environmental sustainability
- An understanding of Biodiesel fuel standards, performance attributes, proper storage procedures and blends.
An understanding of the type and variety of soy biobased products applicable for fleet/facility operation and maintenance activities.